Friday, July 3, 2009

To Move OR Not To Move

Here is the current situation.

I have been slaving away-- literally.

This week I:

- Painted the kitchen
- Painted the spare room
- Tightened taps and faucets
- Cleaned out the cold/storage room
- Rounded up shit for the garage sale (there's alot!)
- Put down landscaping cloth and new mulch around the yard (36 bags to date!)

WHEW!

I did all of this myself, with Hudson along side me with the trusty help of the stroller and the jumperoo. My husband and I made a choice to sell our cute little house, (to upsize) and there was some things we wanted to get done to 'spruce' it up to show a little better. He, has not done one single thing to contribute. It's killing me.

The moral of the story here is the fact that the house will have the sign up here shortly.
We have looked at 25 houses now, and we cannot seem to agree on one that we both mutually like.

I have my eye on a 5 year old, established, 1800 sf, cookie-cutter house in a quiet cul-de-sac, with a smaller groomed yard and the bonus of a finished basement. It's niiiiiice. It would need some fresh paint and maybe some flooring to get rid of the laminate that I am not fond of.

Andy has his mind set on a 43 year old rancher in town, 2000 sf, and a huge yard for running around (and the dog). The house is a loaded 'oak' package, which I would either need to refinish or replace. The house was nice, but compared to the other one, it was 'just okay' to me. He really liked it, and there is sufficient room for his work trailer and our RV. I simply see another old house that is much like what we are in now. Character, and different... yes-- but when he gets home from work, what really would get done when the novelty of it wore off.

Either one would be fine, really.

So this is my dilemma.

The house that we were originally set on, sold. We looked at 24 more houses to get in the predicament that we are in now.

We have 'talked' about the possibility of relocating to another town/city in BC. This has been an off and on topic for probably the past 4 years. We are not planning on staying here forever. Andy would move tomorrow!
Myself... I am the thinker, and a bit more cautious. I see that there is work here, and it would be costly to relocate. Would there be enough work right now and not have to rely on our house selling 'stash' to make ends meet? Yes, it would be best to do it while Hudson is young. I love the idea of getting away from the nasty winter, but is now the right time? Would I have the support system that I need to help with my little dude?... Would I be all alone all of the time while he was working? I don;t think that I would be able to work right away either because how to you establish child care in a new place? Does it fuck up Mat leave if you move? (I wouldn't think so with direct deposit?)

Do I settle on his house choice or do I move? What's your opinion?

I'm really not sure what the right answer is here.


It's a battle.

4 comments:

  1. Uhh, my opinion?

    You move here. We share childcare. We provide support to each other. We're able to hang out regularly. No more snowy winters. Our kids grow up together.

    Have I missed anything?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well then, since I'm the only one who offered my opinion, I WIN!

    So what dates were you looking at?

    Want me to send you some real estate listings?

    I'll start watching the paper for a job for Andy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sign went up in the yard today...

    Do anthing you can do to explore some options!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My advice is not to settle. You're going to be in the house more than he is, you'll be maintaining the inside, you have to stare at the walls. Buying a house is a big decision. There is a possibility this may be the last house you buy, right? If you're not feeling it, don't budge on how you feel. Compromise is OK, but if the house isn't speaking to you, there's a reason for that.

    My two cents.

    ReplyDelete