Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Little Things

I wanted to do this post last night, just to bitch away at the little things that are eating me alive. I slept on it, in hopes that this post would be a bit less harsh.

I ask myself over and over again-- I am a good person, right?!?!

This particular post is going to be about my husband and his parents, again. All but not too long ago, they were here and I had done a post to bitch about them and found myself feeling guilty about it. I do try to take into consideration that they are OLD, and one day my turn will come.

All they want to do is sit around watching tv, and play cards. I am a busy body. I can't sit still at the best of times.

Now that Hudson is here, they are around more than ever and we are now seeing them about every 2 months. I know that they love their Grandson and want to see him as much as possible, and I am not objecting that. However, I think that I am going to come up with things to do while they are visiting to lessen my time with them.

I used to really enjoy their company, honestly I did! One day they somehow flipped a switch and I cannot get past it. I know that one of the reasons that I am bitter is because the afternoon after that I had Hudson, his Mom wanted to go to the mall on Christmas Eve and do some shopping. She could have very well caught a cab, but noooooooooo-- she asks Andy to take her, and he did! He cannot say no to his parents. Not sure why he feels that he owes them something.

So, yesterday. Andy tries bribing me with a new handbag to take his mother shopping. There is a G.ess one that I had been previously eying up, and decided it was an unnecessary purchase while I was not working and forgot about it. He says if I took her, that he would even pick it up for me.

I said no thanks.

I don't want to be reminded each time I look at it that I was guilted into a 'treat' like some sort of child.

A man has made an official offer on our house, and we accepted. He came over to draw up some papers so he could get the financing figured out today. Our house is quite open, and they stayed right there on the couch. You would think that they would take Hudson out in the yard to give us some privacy (not to mention wht buddy must have thought). Nope.

After dinner, and Dad & Jo had just left. I went to have a minute to myself before I got started into Hudson's bedtime routine. I came down to go on the computer, and was followed downstairs by my husband. Then there was the stare down.

~jen~ "What's up?"

~andy~ "Do you have to do that right now? Come visit. They are only here for a few days."

~jen~ "They are sitting around doing nothing anyway. They are here to see Hudson."

~andy~ "I don't know what your problem is, but they are my parents."

~jen~ "Kind of like how you go out of your way for my family?"

~andy~ "Well, they are getting old. You need to be more accommodating."

~jen~ "More accommodating?!

I turned my chair to focus on the computer.

I know this entire conversation is stemming from the fact that I did not take his Mom shopping. He also added in that he thinks that while they are here, I should take Hudson wherever they are to be with them at each waking moment. Fuck that.

I had made them some homemade soup and cheese biscuits for dinner (which I sent home in storage containers for them), because I decided to make a different supper because now my Dad was coming and he is a meat and potatoes kind of guy and I was unsure if he would eat it. His Mom pipes up to my Dad and Jo about how I said 'that's what was cooking, and they would have to eat it'... and then turned around and contradicted myself by making another meal. Andy silently laughs it off beside me in the kitchen, because he knows the original conversation.

They were supposed to be the only ones coming for dinner in the first place-- they would have to eat it and like it.

His Dad takes my book that is on the coffee table and loses my page in attempt to use it for a coaster. Thinks nothing of it. Andy later defends his Dad by saying "He didn't think anything of it because he doesn't read books."

He always sides with them. Always quick to their defense.

I missed out on something between Andy and his Mom while I was in the kitchen. I just cough the tail end of it. Andy got all silent and pursed lipped when I asked what was wrong. His Mom pissed him off somehow, but would not elaborate.

I could go on and on about the things that picked my ass about the entire evening. But I won't.

Today is a new day.

I will be just as accommodating as I ever was.

5 comments:

  1. All I can say is that I feel your pain. Ohhhh how I feel your pain, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking of you while I was doing this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I had Dylan ... my MIL said to David "take a good look at him and make sure he's yours"
    At the very least you MIL will be gone shortly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I "feel" it too as the ol boy walked in on me in the shower at Christmas...and when you were in hospital having Hudson, I too witnessed the painstaking card games...and prepared a few meals and rides... Am not complaining as it did not bother me much cause I knew it was short lived, but I gotcha... i feel the pain

    ReplyDelete
  5. again another pal feelin' your pain -- hopefully your home is yours again.

    ReplyDelete