Thursday, July 9, 2009

A Bad Hair Day!

Remember my hair yesterday? Looked like this:




Last night I went to get my hair done. I LOVE getting my hair done. I look forward to it... It is truly one of the few things I do for myself, and it only happens every 8-10 weeks.

My friend Hot Kim moved to Edmonton, she had been doing my hair for the past 5 years. She was fantastic. I didn't even have to tell her what I liked, she would do it and it was good every time. I have I have been seeing this other girl for my past 3 appointments. I know that she is not as good as my friend, but I figured what the hell-- it's just hair.

**Apparently; as I sorrily found out last night, hair is VERY important to me. My appointment last night was a fucking disaster.**

Here's how it all went down.

I booked my appointment long ago for 5pm on a Wednesday night. Andy would watch Hudson, and I would go and have some time to myself. Yes! I do not do much these days for myself. This girl, (we'll just call her KIRBY) walks around my chair, feeling my hair. Section by section.

She has decided that my color still looks good, and we would simply be touching up my roots so that my hair would have lift again. After the color, she would clean up my cut. I was into the inverted bob. Common, but it worked for me.

So, she puts some foils in my hair around the roots, and adds some fresh chocolate color around my bangs and the back of my hair. Nothing is different from the last time she colored it. She looked at the previous mix that she had written on my client card.

She paces around for a bit, checking and re-checking the processing of the bleach. I am a natural dirty blond, and color takes VERY well in my hair. She checks once more, and lets me know it's time for a rinse. Oh, how I love my head massaged! Kirby then lets me know that she is going to 'tone' it. I HATE brassiness, and have stated the fact on both occasions where she has colored it.

She suggests that she is going to re-tone it because it did not work as well as she had hoped. And again. And again. 3 times she tried to 'tone' it, and get the 'golds' out of my hair. Can you say burning scalp? Oh fire, and the overly pungent smell of ammonia. Holy fuck. I didn't even enjoy the shampoo/head massage, I just wanted to be done and out of there.

It's now 7pm. One color job, 3 toning jobs, and we are right back to where we started! My hair is ORANGE!! Bright orange. I could feel my lip start to quiver. I informed her that I can't leave here with this color. Kirby then asks me if I have time to re-do it, or if I would prefer to come back? Come back?! I am not going anywhere with orange hair! There we were, more than 2 hours later putting fresh foils, (and even more bleach)! Under the heater. Tone once more, and shampoo again.

My hair was hurting at this point, and in my mind I am starting to question whether or not I should walk out right then and there. I should have.

Time for the cut. I was under the impression that we would be cleaning it up, and really 'texturizing' because I have an overabundance of hair. She sits on her little pedestal, and starts cutting. Then razoring. Then texturizing. The hair is flying!!

She grabs the one side of my hair, and snip! My jaw drops.... Literally. She just cut the side of my hair so fucking short!

I snapped at her, 'My hair is naturally curly-- what the fuck am I going to do with it that short?!'

'It'll look better once it's textured some more. It doesn't look good yet because it's blunt,' She says. 'You'll have alot of fun with this cut.'

She cuts it wet. She cuts it dry.
I have decided in my mind that there is only so much hair that she can possibly cut, and soon she would be finished and I would never return again.

I come home, thank Andy for letting me have an evening to myself. His eyes are wide, he knows better than to say a word because my eyes are welled up. I know full well that he loves it long.

This is what the 4 hour... 6 shampoos... 4 tone jobs... 2 foil jobs... scissor happy, burning scalp appointment turned out like. She was kind enough to only charge me $100 this time, not the $140 I paid last time.


Looks like I am going to be spending the next year growing this shit out. In the meantime, I will be looking for a new colorist.

5 comments:

  1. OMG Jen, she totally did not even resemble your old cut....and I know how much you were loving the old one, however you always look good no matter the cut, or color (no joking)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miranda's right, you always look good no matter what. I'm sure you'll have all the girls in town soon wanting this new type of cut and color...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks cute, but it's NOTHING like the cut you had before. WTF? Is she blind?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how it feels to have your cut/color messed up but fortunately you have a pretty face so you actually pull off the hairstyle quite well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm actually growing my hair out for that similar cut:)

    ReplyDelete